They say history repeats itself. Which means that all of the glorious bravery and stories are constantly serving as examples. It's why it's important to learn from history, as they help us navigate our lives, and our civilization. But history also has a darker side... it shows us the mistakes that don't bear repeating. Those horrible decisions, those stupid mistakes, those idiotic moves that should never be repeated. Learn from these 25 examples, and be wiser for it.
25. Alexander the Great not naming an heir which led directly to the fall of his empire.
24. The 12 book publishers who turned down Harry Potter.
23. Faulty construction leading to the meltdown of the Chernobyl Reactor, the consequences of which are still being counted to this day.
22. The Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor when not a single US aircraft carrier was in port.
21. Archduke Franz Ferdinand's driver making a wrong turn that led right to the feet of his assassin, Gavrilo Princip. Two World Wars that could have been at least postponed by a Garmin.
20. 14th century China abandoning its navy and pursuing a policy of isolationism. It arguably could have been much more influential than any European power.
19. Some random fool who left the door open to Constantinople, allowing the Turks to conquer easily.
18. Filling the Hindenburg with hydrogen.
17. Falling for the Trojan Horse (if it actually ever existed).
16. Inca ruler Atahualpa agreeing to meet Conquistador Fransisco Pizarro during which 200 Spanish horseman ambushed and defeated 80,000 Inca warriors.
15. Russia selling Alaska to the US for 2 cents an acre because they thought it was a useless tundra.
14. The Dutch discovering Australia 100 years before the British but ignoring it because they thought it was a useless desert.