There is one fact that most of us know to be true: the world is a strange place. Every day there is something happening that you probably never thought about before. "Truth is stranger than fiction" is an old adage that proves itself true, day after day.
1. In Japan, Ronald McDonald is called Donald McDonald due to a lack of a clear "r" sound in Japanese.
2. In Texas, it is legal to kill Big Foot if you ever find it.
3. The word pencil comes from a Latin word meaning "small penis.”
4. The founder of Match.com lost his girlfriend to a man she met on Match.com.
5. In Spanish, the word "esposas" means both "wives" and "handcuffs.”
6. Farts have been clocked at a speed of 10 feet per second (7 mph).
7. The only member of the band "ZZ Top" without a beard is named Frank Beard.
8. In Greek mythology, it was believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.
9. West Side Story was originally called East Side Story.
10. Reincarnation is forbidden in China without government permission.
11. Shakira was rejected from the school choir because the teacher thought she sounded like a goat.
12. Saddam Hussein used Whitney Houston's song, "I Will Always Love You"for his 2002 campaign.
13. In Dorset, Minnesota, a 3-year-old boy was elected mayor.
14. In Oklahoma, it's illegal to take a bite out of another person's hamburger.
15. The word "mortgage" comes from a French word that means "death contract."
16. Paris Syndrome is a disorder, mainly suffered by Japanese people, caused after realizing Paris isn't what they expected.
17. The scientific name for the Western lowland gorilla is Gorilla gorilla gorilla.
18. In 2011, a woman bought a "non-visible" piece of art for $10,000.
19. You can change your language on Facebook to "Pirate.”
20. Benjamin Franklin wrote, "Fart Proudly," a scientific essay about farts.
21. Most people can't distinguish expensive wines from inexpensive ones, a study proved.
22. 7% of religious Americans pray to God about finding a good parking spot.
23. 55% of Americans think they are smarter than the average American.
We should learn something new every day. And if it just so happens to be absolutely bizarre or hilarious? Even better.