The human body is an amazing thing. Unfortunately, it's something we take for granted almost every day. We are able to do so many incredible things that we don't even realize. The next time you feel like cursing your body for not holding up during your work out or for tripping on the sidewalk, remember these things that the body is doing and maybe give it a little more credit. It's an awesome machine.
1. The focusing muscles in your eyes move around 100,000 times per day. You'd need to walk 50 miles to give your legs the same workout.
2. Your belly button is home to thousands of bacteria that form an ecosystem the size of an entire rainforest.
3. In your lifetime you will produce about 25,000 quarts of spit, which is enough to fill up two swimming pools.
4. Our noses can remember 50,000 different scents.
5. Red blood cells can travel your entire body in roughly 20 seconds.
6. Our eyes are so sensitive that if the Earth were flat, we could see a candle from about 30 miles away.
7. Roughly 90% of our cells aren't "human" in origin. Our cells originate mostly from fungi and bacteria.
8. Our muscles are more powerful than we believe. Our strength is limited to protect our tendons and muscles from harming themselves. This limitation is removed during an adrenaline rush, during which some people have been known to lift cars and boulders.
9. An adult is made up of 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms.
10. Our eyes can distinguish up to 10 million different colors and take in more information than any telescope.
11. We are the best long distance runners on the planet, so much so that we used to run after our prey until they died from exhaustion.
12. Our bodies actually glow in the dark, but the light we emit is 1,000 times weaker than what our eyes can detect.
13. Babies have 60 more bones than adults do.
14. Being in love causes the brain to release the same neurotransmitters and hormones that are released in amphetamines.
15. We share 50% of our DNA with bananas.
16. Our brain can produce enough electricity to power a lightbulb.
17. In our lifetime we will spend about 10% of our waking life with our eyes closed from blinking.
18. The strongest muscle in the human body is our jaw muscle, the masseter.
19. If the human brain were a computer, it could perform 38 thousand-trillion operations per second. The world’s most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene, can manage only .002% of that.
20. Your body produces 25 million new cells each second. Every 13 seconds, you produce more cells than there are people in the United States.
21. Our brains can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
22. We shed about 40 pounds of skin in our lifetime.
If your body is a temple, what an amazing temple it is. Take care of it and learn to appreciate all of the amazing this it is doing.